In his message and in his practice the Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) elevated the status of women in the context of his time and our time. Here are some quotes from the Qur’an, the revealed words of God:-
- Women are a garment for you and you are a garment for them…(Qur’an 2:187)
- Our Lord! Grant us comfort of our eyes from our wives and offspring and gives us all (the grace) to be those who are examples of the righteous. (Qur’an 25:74)
- Consort with them (your wives) in kindness, for if you dislike something in them, it may be that you dislike a thing wherein God has placed much good. (Qur’an 4:19).
- Men are the protectors and maintainers of women….(Qur’an 4:34)
In his own words the Prophet (s) said:-
- The believer who has the most perfect faith is the one whose behaviour is best and the best of you are the ones who are best to their women. (At-Tirmidhi)
- No believing man should dislike a believing woman. If he dislikes one of her characteristics, there will be others that please him. (Muslim)
- The best of you is the best to his family and I am the best among you to my family (Imam Ahmad)
- Paradise lies at the feet of mothers (Nisa’i, Ibn Majah)
- It is the generous (in character) who is good to women and it is the wicked who insults them.
International Women’s Day (8 March) is a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future.
Be the first to comment on "Muhammad’s guidance on the treatment of women"