ASJA - Trinidad
Maulana Hassan was a member of the sole existing jamaat in San Fernando. When conflict arose he decided to leave and start another Jamaat. He got together with Brothers Asgarali Syne, Sheikh Bahadur Ali, Soman Ghany and Hafiz Yacoob Ali and they decided to pursue the matter. They raised over fourteen hundred dollars and from it purchased the parcel of land on which it now stands for one hundred and fifty dollars ($150.00). The parcel of land measured fifty feet by one hundred feet.
In 1913 they started in earnest with the erection of our Masjid and laid it's foundation progressing steadily. When the structure was substantially completed need was seen for another entrance. There had only been one at the time. More land was needed. Hafiz Yacoob Ali who owned the adjacent land southwards donated a piece of it and it is on this land a second entrance was built. Around 1917 the building was finally completed and namaz performed in it. It is a two storey structure of reinforced concrete, still retaining its original architecture.
(Extracted from brochure titled Khatam-ul-Qur'aan dated 12th April 1987)
This item was sourced from ASJA's 70th Anniversary Souvenir Magazine 1935 - 2005.
The day was October 31st, the year 1935 and the Legislative Council of Trinidad and Tobago had passed an ordinance to incorporate certain persons as Trustees of the Anjuman Sunnat ul Jamaat Association of Trinidad and Tobago (ASJA) with the four Incorporated Trustees being Syed Mohammed Hosein [First President], John Mohammed [First Vice President] with Buckredee Meah and Mustapha Khan as Trustees. Today, seventy (70) years later ASJA continues to be the largest single Muslim organisation in Trinidad and Tobago providing the community with leadership, guidance, maturity and stability which has been responsible for recognition by the national community and successive Governments over the years since its humble, yet auspicious beginning in 1935.